I love how colorful this dish is. Carne Asada tacos are definitely a favorite around this house, and it is so much fun to experiment with the ingredients. Carne Asada street tacos will always have a special place in our hearts, but making our own at home can be just that much more fun. I saw these Nopal tortillas at the market, and just had to pick them up. I had never seen nor tried them before. They added a unique flavor and beautiful color to these tacos. Traditionally you don’t see pickled onions on Carne Asada tacos, but I really love the pop of color, as well as texture and flavor that they brought to the plate. With this recipe there isn’t a need to squeeze extra limes on the tacos, the marinade and tartness from the pickled onions add just the right amount of acidity. If you are not able to find Nopal Tortillas, go ahead and use your favorite type, it will still make a truly delicious taco.
Makes 6-8 Tacos
For the Tacos
- 6-8 Nopal Tortillas
- 3-4 Thin Steak Fillets
- 5 Limes, Juiced
- The zest of 1 lime
- 1-2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tsp. Tajin (Chile Lime Powder), Plus more for garnish
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Grated or Minced
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Avocado, Diced
For the Pickled Onions
- 1 Large Red Onion, Thinly Sliced
- 6-8 Limes,Juiced
- The zest of 1 Lime
- 1 tsp. Dried Oregano
For the Pickled Onions:
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil, add the onions and let simmer for about 30 seconds.
- Remove from the pot and place in a bowl of ice water to shock the onions.
- Place the onions in a jar and cover with the lime juice and season with the oregano.
- Close the jar and place them in the refrigerator for at least 1-2 hours These can be made days ahead, and used for other dishes as well.
- Place the fillets in a shallow dish, and season with the salt and pepper on both sides, then add the tajin, lime juice, and garlic.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place the dish into the fridge.
- Let the meat marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour, and up to 4 hours.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat and add 1 tbsp. of olive oil, cook the meat for 2 minutes on each side, or until desired doneness.
- Meanwhile heat your tortillas, and keep them warm.
- To assemble tacos place your desired amount of meat, avocado, and pickled onions on each tortilla.
- Sprinkle the Tajin over the top.